December is our 7th month of living in Montana! Most days, I still can’t believe I actually live here. There are still so many NEW and DIFFERENT things we are seeing and learning about life out here! One of those being all the things that come with the changing of seasons. It’s wild. We are not in the South anymore. Thanksgiving was COLD, we are talking lots snow on the ground and going skiing that weekend. I’ll be honest with you, I was pretty terrified of winter coming. I had a few nights where I was just straight overwhelmed by the thought of it. And I know that we are no where close to being doing with this season, BUT I have surprised myself with how much sweetness and goodness I have found in these cold, snow-filled days.
So in honor of celebrating this winter season here are a few of my ‘little loves’ – the things that remind me of the sweetness and goodness wrapped up in these days!
- Watching Bob Dylan play in the snow! I haven’t captured a picture of this yet because I usually have on gloves that are too warm to take off. But y’all, watching him play brings me so much joy. I love the shin deep snow more because he has absolute blast in it. The cutest is when he dunks him nose into it and then has powdery white snow all over his black nose!
- Christmas Tree Hunting – ok so here is Montana you skip all the Home Depot’s and Christmas Tree Farms and head straight to Ace Hardware to get your $5 tree permit. You then head to the national forest (20 min from your house) and trudge through the snow to find your perfectly un-perfect Christmas tree! You lower your Home Depot expectations because you realize how no tree in the forest looks like those ones and then you drag your tree out of the woods and bring it home with great pride and joy. I think this one is my very favorite tree of all time!
- Peppermint & Chocolate Covered Pretzels — riffed on this recipe here by going with dark chocolate chips instead of white chocolate and finding the closest thing I could to chop-able peppermint candy pieces (ie Andes Peppermint Crunch Thins)
- Homemade Dried Orange Garland — Now, Adam says he doesn’t understand how oranges are a Christmas-y decoration but hopefully you will understand that they indeed are! 🙂
- All things SOURDOUGH. So much so that I’ve had thoughts of making this blog a purely sourdough blog… because who would be mad about that? I’ve ventured into new sourdough territory, trying my hand at Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls, Sourdough Multi-Grain Sandwich Bread, and Soft Buttery Rolls! It’s been fun.
- Feeling Baby Boy move and kick! I’ll be 28 weeks pregnant tomorrow, which means we have no more than 3 months left before he will be joining us in this world! I am getting more excited with each passing day and I am dying to know who is going to look like. Baby Boy is such a precious miracle and blessing!
- The mountains and trees covered in snow. It is simply beautiful. No one words for it.